Seattle Step Ahead Preschools
The Seattle Step Ahead preschool program, funded by the 2004 Families and Education Levy offers free or low-cost, culturally and linguistically appropriate preschools to eligible four-year-olds. The goal is to help participating children develop the skills they need to be successful in school and acquire a passion for lifelong learning.
Part-day programs provide a three and a half-hour instructional day for children, four to five days a week from September to June. Full-day programs provide six or more hours a day for children, five days a week from September to June. Teachers provide daily opportunities for children to improve skills in language and literacy, math concepts, science, social studies, arts, physical development, and social and emotional development.
For more information about the Step Ahead Preschools, call 206-386-1050 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECEAP also acknowledges that families are their child’s first teacher and it is important that families have access to information and resources that help support their child’s development
Each ECEAP site is unique and may offer a part-day preschool or
full-day integrated services. Part-day programs provide three to four hours of instruction for children, four to five days a week from September to May/June. Full-day programs provide full day care for
working families as well as preschool, five days a week from September to May/June. Teachers provide daily opportunities for children to improve skills in language and literacy, math, science, social studies, arts, physical, social and emotional development.
- Nurturing staff who are well-trained in how to foster eachchild’s sense of security, confidence and readiness for kindergarten
- Developmentally and culturally appropriate classroom activities designed to support the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of each child
- Health, nutrition and developmental screenings to support healthy growth and development
- Inclusive services for children with disabilities
- A safe and healthy environment for children
- Additional support for families including parent education and
referrals for needed resources.
Eligibility and Application Information for ECEAP and Seattle Step Ahead Programs
Part-day Step Ahead and ECEAP preschools are located in numerous locations in Seattle and are free for children attending. Full-day Seattle Step Ahead and ECEAP Preschools are located in licensed child care centers in Seattle. Payment assistance may be available if families need help paying for a full-day program through the Working Connections
Child Care or City of Seattle Child Care Assistance Program. The requirements for the ECEAP and Step Ahead Programs are listed below.
- Children must be three or four years old by August 31 of the
- Families must be within the income limits
- Programs are located throughout Seattle
- Foster children are eligible
Step Ahead Program Information:
- Children must be four years old by August 31 of the
- Families must live in Seattle city limits
- Programs are located in southeast and southwest Seattle